The History of Hammond Indiana

  1. publishing
  2. April 7, 2013 2:48 pm

The History of Hammond Indiana

Hammond, Indiana is the most populous city in Lake County, is on Lake Michigan’s south end, is one of the oldest cities having been established in 1834, and is in the Chicago metropolitan area. It was named for George Henry Hammond, a butcher, who founded the G. H. Hammond Packing and Slaughter House in 1869, which was the area’s first industrial business and one that helped provide well-paying jobs for workers in Hammond and other nearby suburbs. By 1875 sales were almost $2 million. By the middle of the 1880s, Hammond Packing owned 800 refrigerator cars. In 1868 George had received a patent for the refrigerated rail car to transport fresh meat.

Hammond was first a crossroad for explorers, Indian tribes, supply and stagecoach lines going to the West. It was later settled around 1847 by German farmers.

)

The Saint Margaret Hospital was opened in 1898, is still open today, and is well-known for its innovative medical practices.

Hammond was the home of the Hammond Professionals, one of the nation’s first professional football teams. It played in the National Football League as a traveling team from 1920 to 1926 until the NFL scaled down to 12 teams after getting rid of smaller franchises. It had the first African-American NFL head coach and six of the nine African-Americans playing in the league.

)

Hammond is also the home of Indiana’s second largest police memorial. It is of black granite from the quarry that provided that granite for the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington, D.C. The five triangular pillars have pictures showing the Police Department’s history from 1883 to the present time.


Leave a Reply